Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Research Log Entry: The Library Catalog, the Information Cycle, and Reference Works

I added two new questions since I changed my topic from religion to homosexuality, and they are: What are the religious aspects of homosexuality; and is homosexuals born that way?

1. The question that I tried to answer was: What are the religious aspects of homosexuality?

2. The exact terms that I entered into the keyword search were: homosexuality and religion.

3. Homosexuality Religious Aspects is the subject heading that I used.

4. The book that I choose was Religion and Sexuality; I choose this because it was the most
relevant book and fell under the subject heading of homosexuality religious aspects.

5. Hillstrom, Kevin, ed. Religion and Sexuality. View Points Series. Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2008.

6. The quote that I choose was: “How do you even reason with people who believe that, when something bad happens to gays, it’s God’s wrath, but when something bad happens to straight people, it’s God’s pop quiz?” – Dan Savage. I choose this quote, because I found it very interesting and goes along great with the question I asked.

7. What makes the book I choose a reference book is that it is a volume to a series, it has a bunch of articles from many people in there and the book is meant to glance at only some of its sections as opposed to a book from the book stacks were you read the whole thing.

8. Even though the book was published in 2008, I would have to say the information comes from a range of years staring from 1994 to 2006. I base these years on the information found in the books bibliography.

1 comment: