1. The main subject for my question is The origin of homosexuality. My question is, is there a gay gene?
2. The subject guide that I used was human development, is was the only subject guide that was relevant.
Databases
1. Academic Search Premier was the first database that I used.
2. The terms that I used were, homosexual genetic code.
3. No results were found with the search terms that I used above.
4. I had no results so i need to broaden my search terms. The new search terms that I used were, homosexual gene. This yielded eight results. This database appears to not have a lot of articles that are relevant to my topic.
5. All but three of the eight articles contained the words gay, and gene or genetics. The ones that didnt contain those words at least seemed to be about homosexuality. Therefore even though my results were few, all the articles were very meaningful.
6. Here is the article that I chose: Genetic Basis to Homosexuality, Robert M. Donaldson, of Haymarket Media.
7. I determined that this article was meaningful by clicking on the title and reading the abstract of the article, which mostly all focused on the gay gene.
1. The secound database that I used was JSTOR.
2. The search terms that I used were, homosexual gene.
3. This gave 1398 results.
4. I needed to narrow my results by a lot so I entered new search terms, homosexual genectic code which gave 563 results. Next I entered homosexual genectic code origin and got 282 results, however now the results all looked irrelevant. So I just entered homosexual genectic code again with a lot of results over 100, however the articles all looked more relevant.
5. I had a lot of results so I just skimmed through most of them. The results looked meaningful, because almost all of them dealt with homosexuality and a good 3/4 of them dealt with homosexuality with genectics.
6. Here is the article that I chose: The Ethics of Genetic Research on Sexual Orientation, by Udo Schuklenk, Edward Stein, Jacinta Kerin and William Byne, reproductive Health Matters, Vol. 6, No. 12, Sexuality (Nov., 1998), pp. 134-143, Published by: Reproductive Health Matters
7. The article was only about ten pages and I was able to look at it, so I just skimmed through the whole thing and found that it is very meaningful and contains just information about the gay gene and nouthing else.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First, Academic Search Premier is a general database, not a subject-specific one. It is likely to be listed on various subject pages, but you have to be sure you are really choosing one that is subject-specific.
ReplyDeleteYou wrote: "All but three of the eight articles contained the words gay, and gene or genetics. The ones that didnt contain those words at least seemed to be about homosexuality." If you entered "homosexual gene," those words are in each result somewhere; otherwise, the result would not show up on the list.
As for your search, it's interesting that the exact search terms can provide widely different numbers of results. This speaks to the relevancy of your database choice to your subject.
You did a good job on broadening/narrowing your terms, depending on your database.