1. The question that i tried to answer was, What is the origin of pop music in North America?
2. The search engine that i used was Yahoo.
3. The search terms that i used was, North American pop music, and i got 9,680,000 results. I then used the terms North America or pop music and got 18,100,000 results. I got more results when included or in the search terms and that set was bigger, because then the results were of both North America and pop music, instead of just a combination.
4. The questions that i used to evalute my resluts were, what is the web site's currency, relevance, depth and info type. the site that I ended up choosing was, http://www.onlineradiostations.com/music-genre/teen-pop/teen-pop-is-targeted-towards-teenagers-and-preteens.html. The site had a decent value since it had relevent information and info type, however it would have had more value if it had greater depth.
5. The questions that come into my mind after doing this research activity are, how valuable was the web site that I have just been to, and is there more than one answer to my question. I could use both of theses questions to explore more of the search engine.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You wrote: "I got more results when included or in the search terms and that set was bigger, because then the results were of both North America and pop music, instead of just a combination."
ReplyDeleteNot quite. With OR, you got more results because they contained either one term or the other and did not require both.
As a point of note, you also must enter the term OR in capital letters for the search engine to recognize that it is intended to be a Boolean operator. I'm not sure if you did that in this case or not.
With your evaluation, you give both positive and negative comments, which is good. The key, however, is that this is a .com site, a commercial site, and with those, you must pay particular attention to bias because the primary goal is to sell you something, whether it's a product, an idea, or a point of view.
There's also a question in my mind about "authority" because the author is not named. Other articles by this author are cited, but not his/her name. You have to click on the link to "all articles by this author" to find out that his name is Shane Martin and still there is nothing written about his credentials, even though he may be very knowledgeable about his subject.
Your questions are fine.