Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1. Research Log Entry: Exploring and Evaluating the Web

1. The question that I tried to anwser was, "Who invented the pythagorean theorem?"

2. The terms that I selected to begin were, pythagorean theorem invented.

3. The search engines I used were: Goggle, Yahoo, and Gigablast.

4. a. The search terms that I used were, pythagorean theorem invented.
b. The search techiques that I tried were: adjacency ("pythagorean theorem invented") and nesting ("pythagorean theorem" invented).

5. a. I evaluated my results by using both of my search techiques for all three search engines. The adjacency techique yielded less results so I stuck with that
b. I concluded that Goggle, Yahoo, and Gigablast were simular and different. Yahoo yielded 380 results, which was higher that the 145 results of Gigablast and the 115 results of Goggle. Gigablast was the plainest of all three search engines with fewer options. Yahoo provides a "also try" option and Goggle has an advance search option. The search engines all had different features but gave around the same number of results.
c. I think the search engines acted the way they did according to the techique of adjacency that I used and how much material was in each of their databases.

6. Other questions that came into my mind while doing this execise were, Why have I never heard of Gigablast and who founded Goggle and Yahoo?

1 comment:

  1. Thorough answer.

    I actually like your search structure

    "Pythagorean theorem" invented

    best because it makes logical sense. Pythagorean theorem is a natural phrase that goes together; invented could be anywhere. You might get more results, but it makes sense.

    Gigablast is not that well known, which is why I introduced it in this lesson. I wanted you all to see that there are more search engines than you may know about.

    You can always research the founders of these various search engines. In fact, at various points in the past, the founders of Google, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, have been featured in big magazines like Time and Newsweek, so it's relatively easy to find out about them.

    ReplyDelete